The Municipal Art Gallery is situated in the Town Hall, Arengo Palace, and it is considered one of the most important museums in Marche Region, second only to the National Art Gallery of Urbino. It was instituted in 1861 with the transfer of works of art from the churches of the suppressed religious orders in Ascoli Piceno and in the Piceno territory. Successively the collection was enriched by bequests and donations such as the collection of the Ascolan doctor Antonio Ceci and works of art from the deposits of the Modern Art Gallery of Rome thanks to the painter and the art critic Giulio Cantalamessa.
Its halls are rich in antique furnishings, in large part from the Sgariglia family, which render the ambients an elegant and precious appearance , giving one the impression of finding oneself in a noble palace.
Not to be missed: panel paintings by Carlo Crivelli, Pietro Alamanno and Cola dell’Amatrice; the Cope of Pope Niccolò IV, the canvas by Tiziano Vecellio, Guido Reni, Luca Giordano, Pellizza da Volpedo, the collection of ceramics and of musical instruments.